DIY Art Deco Headpiece

The past couple weeks have been so busy, we haven’t really gotten to post any DIY posts.  Now I have time to post a few DIYs I did for the wedding.  This DIY I actually made for my bridal portraits.  Since these were for fun, I wanted to create a few fun headpieces to wear for variety.  I am constantly looking at different sites, like Etsy, for ideas.  That is when I came across the beauty.  An art deco tulle headpiece with crystal embellishments.  The price tag… $500.  I simply could not and would not ever pay that much for something made of tulle and rhinestones.  So, if you can buy, DIY.  Tulle is next to nothing (about $3.00/yard, I bought 1/2 yard and didn’t use most of it) and I bought the rhinestones in 3 different sizes at Michael’s for under $10 total.

Lujon - Crystal Art Deco 1920's Tulle Headpiece

 WillowMoone – $500

You will need:

  • Scissors
  • Tulle
  • Glue ( I used E6000)
  • Rhinestones (I used 5mm, 7mm, 10mm)
  • Paper plate
  • Cardboard
  • Toothpick
  • Patience

I don’t have the step by step pictures, but, it really is not too difficult.  I first cut the size of the tulle; I made it 2 ply by folding over the tulle and started the design from the folded over bottom.  Once the tulle is folded in half (hotdog or hamburger will work) then take the fold and place it across you forehead.  Then wrap the tulle around the circumference of you head and gather it in the back with a rubber band or ponytail holder.  Once it is secured.  cut it so that there is enough to still rubber band and fold under (inside the “cap).  This is how the rubber band and excess tulle will be hidden in the back.  After the size is cut, take out the rubber band and unfold the tulle.  This is where you can be creative with you design.  I laid out the rhinestones where I wanted them first to get a visual and to know how many rhinestones would need to fit and the I glued.  Before gluing, be sure to put cardboard between the tulle and whatever surface you are gluing on.  Pour out a little glue onto the paper plate and use the toothpick to transfer the glue onto the rhinestones and then stick.  Note:  When you have place the rhinestone, do not pick up and try to move because the glue does not dry completely clear.  As you are working through the project, pick up the tulle headpiece from time to time.  Tulle does have pores for the glue to go through and can get stuck to the cardboard if not removed periodically.  Once all the rhinestones are glued on, let the piece dry for an hour or so before wearing.

deco1

deco

Bridals-106

Bridals-105

Looks pretty darn close and you can save yourself about $485.

Bridals-100

You can check out this post to see how I turned my grandmother’s bracelet into a fun, one of a kind head piece.

Advertisements

One thought on “DIY Art Deco Headpiece

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s